Friday, October 9, 2009

The small talk on a big issue...

Black tie event -an Inauguration. We were out at the balcony appreciating the wonders of Wales' nature in the evening.

A Welsh lawyer bidded me & hubby to come over...

'Come, let me introduce you to The Mayor!'
'Mr Mayor, these are the true Malaysian, they both are Malays, one of the main race group in Malaysia.' 'Malaysia is a multiracial country. The minorities which are the Pakistanis and Chinese, live side by side with the Malays. There are very tolerant lot', he added.

In my head- Its Indianlaa... not Pakistani, but I didn't bother to correct him since I was kinda excited to meet the local mayor.

The Mayor said,'Hello! Nice to meet you'

I couldn't help but noticed the long chain of medals around his neck that forms some sort necklace or vintage costume jewellery that is in fashion nowdays.
I then said with a slight curtsy (that seems to be an automatic gesture came out of nowhere...)
'It is a pleasure to meet you. I sort of know that you must be of importance when I see that amazing chain that you are wearing!'

'Yes, I am the Mayor!'

Ok already - we got it the first time, I thought.

'So tell me, is it really that all the different races live in harmony without any feuds. Are you really integrated?'

'Yes, of course! We celebrate all different race's festive seasons, we go to school together, work together and inter-marriages are very common..'

'My grandma is Chinese!', my handsome hubby said.

'That makes you quarter Chinese!' the lawyer said.

They all nod appreciatively.

In the meantime, I was thinking that I have to thank the Javanese and Chinese parentage for my hubby's good look. And may I add... he was also looking extra dashing that night with his tux on. Hehehe...

But I felt the need to tell The Mayor about my views and what I truly think about the plight of Malaysians nowdays... I continued on without much thought...

'However, it does feel quite different recently. I am indeed very sad that now days our own so called leaders are instigating the animosity amongst us. The politicians are using this race issue for their political gains...'

'Politicians you said?' The Welsh Lawyer stopped me before I can elaborate more....
'Hmmm... On that note, lets have our dessert...' he laughed sheepishly and ushered us back to our tables...

The Mayor followed him with a poker face...

Ooops... I just blamed the politicians to a politician. He is The Mayor after all. Oh well... so much of small talk...

Bump into him again that evening, I smiled... he didn't smile back. In fact, he was not smiling to anybody at all... I decided that The Mayor is not that friendly after all, just like some of the Malaysian politicians... after they won the election that is...

Came across a video which is a brilliant depiction of Malaysia and her different races. It summarises well of what I think about my Tanahair... Enjoys...

No comments:

Post a Comment